Popular Posts

MBFWJ Review: AFI Fastrack Competition

I have been lucky enough to have worked with the three winners of last year's Foschini sponsored Fastrack event, that forms part of the AFI stable of fashion weeks. I will be telling you all about the project with last year's winners soon enough, but for now let's look at this year's crop of young fashion starlettes who presented yesterday at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Joburg. Seriously. So impressed. Blown away. My favourite favourite was presented by Kyra-Moon Halfpenny. It was a Japanese-anime-meets-African-urban situation of glory - global kids run away to the big city and go a bit wild. I fell totally and utterly in love with the collection, with the designer and with the possibilities for young fashion in this country the moment I clapped eyes on this little lot. Exciting. Unexpected. Different. And very fashion forward. I know the kids are going to love it too. Maybe not as much as I since I can't imagine that is possible. But love. Totally.
Then there was Kim Gush who took my breath away with her post-apocalyptic-ninja collection of men's wear. I can also see Japanese influence here. But this is hard core, hairy stuff. And I would wear that men's chunky knit coat in a heartbeat. Amazing.
The surprise package of the show was the incredible African-chic collection from Westive Nkosi who showed garments that I admired, which looked beautiful and which are without doubt a signal to what is possible and necessary in local fashion. Hand made fabrics will always make my heart sing and the designer herself came out in a dress that Beyonce would DIE for. Amazing.
There was a moment of utter joy and thrill when Shelley Botha's collection of delightful little girl coats and capes came out on the most glorious wee tots, grinning and smiling and melting my cold stone heart.
And then I must make a special mention of my intern, Tamryn van der Merwe, who showed her collection which was a delight of feminine detail and frippery. She didn't win but she did herself proud.
Photos all courtesy of SDR Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment